Our history: You can’t make this stuff up!
Just Improvise has expanded its capability over more than a decade, from producing community and professional improvisation workshops and productions, to becoming an integral part of several blue-chip businesses’ training regimes.
Highlights and achievements include:
- Spontaneous Insanity, our first improvisation show – 2000, Rechabites Hall, Northbridge – Directed by Glenn Hall. Received rave reviews and ran for a packed, 3-week season – unheard of in Perth. Followed up with ‘Soap on a Rope – with musical direction by Tim Minchin (2001).
- Assisted in the creation of The Big Hoo Haa: development of the format and training the original ensemble for the first six years.
- Created and produced many unscripted (improvised) shows including ‘This is Your Life (sort of)‘, ‘IN A NEW YORK MINUTE’ and ‘The Locker Room’, staged in Perth and around Australia including in the Perth Fringe, Adelaide Fringe, Improvention, Off the Cuff Improv Festival (Qld), and Adelaide Improv Festival.
- Commissioned by the City of Perth for numerous school holiday productions, enjoyed by tens of thousands of people.
- Development of the Hive of Nine Be’s™ company philosophy.
- Working with forward thinking companies in team development, leadership and providing creative facilitation, including: Dôme Café, Department of Child Protection and Family Services, St John of God Hospital, RSM Bird Cameron, Newmont Asia Pacific, Mortgage Gallery, Office of Crime Prevention, HBF, Coca Cola, Scitech, City of Joondalup, WA Academy of Performing Arts, Challenger TAFE, Western Power (preferred vendor for their team building requirements), Department of Culture and the Arts, CSBP… amongst many more.
- Coaching the highly successful 92.9 Breakfast Team – Zara, Troy and Bernie – in improvisation for five years.
- Development of Service Design training program in partnership with The Service Design Co.
- Guest speaking, using the philosophy of improv, to convey key organization messages, hosted events, launches and concerts and provided live, improvised, and tailored entertainment for clients including: RSM Bird Cameron, Chartered Accountants Association, BHP Billiton Olympic Games Live Sites, Mellen Event ‘Evening on the Green’ Concert series, Perth Zoo Summer Concerts, West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers VIP events, RAC, National Homes, Dome Café…
Theatresports™ & the Wider Improv Community:
- Being granted the West Australian licence to perform and teach ‘Theatresports™’ and ‘Micetro™’ improvisation formats by the International Theatresports Institute, Canada.
- Casting the West Australian team for the Australian Theatresports National Championships, part of the Sydney Comedy Festival. WA won in 2009, and were runners-up in 2013!
- Produced numerous Theatresports™ seasons and workshop series – with Deckchair Theatre, Perth Theatre Trust and the Subiaco Arts Centre and even the Mount Lawley Bowling Club!
- Guest speaking and workshop and improv show format provider for ‘Improvention’, Canberra (the largest improvisation convention in the Southern Hemisphere), the International Theatresports Institute Conference, Germay and Würzburger Improtheaterfestival.
- Established the Australian New Zealand Improv Collective with the leading improvisation organisations from every state in Australia and New Zealand.
- Providing improv training for other performance companies including Impro Melbourne, Impro Mafia (Qld), On the Fly (Adelaide), Barking Gecko, Deckchair Theatre, Black Swan and Yirra Yaakin Theatre Companies.
- Running scores of public and school improv workshops, hosting and providing access to visiting international improv visionaries including Per Gottfredsson, Stockholm Improvisational Theater; Jill Bernard, HUGE Theatre, US; Patti Stiles, International Theatresports Insitute, Canada.
- Development of the BOOST: Improv for Kids and Teens programs, empowering younger people with the skills of improvisation to enhance resiliency.